How CNG truck brake failure caused Abuja explosions — Fire Service

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img


.6 die, 25 injured in Abuja explosion – FRSC

Gwamcee News

The FCT Fire Service (FFS) has disclosed that brake failure on the part of a truck conveying Compressed Natural Gas canisters led to Wednesday’s explosions at Karu bridge, Abuja.

The FCT FFS Public Relations Officer, Ibrahim Mohammad, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Mohammad said that the truck, which was headed toward Nyanya axis from AYA, lost control and in the process rammed into several vehicles on the route.
“The impact led to fire which resulted in casualties.

“Figures of casualties have not been given as rescue operation is still ongoing to see the number of lives that are involved

“Some vehicles that were burnt to ashes have to be thoroughly investigated to ascertain whether people are trapped inside them and that is why the search is still ongoing even with searchlights as we speak,” he said.

The spokesperson, however, gave an assurance that once proper search had been concluded, the number of casualties will be disclosed.

He added that the Federal and FCT fire services alongside other sister agencies were at the scene to carry out operation, according to NAN.

Meanwhile, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), earlier, confirmed that six persons died and 25 others were injured.

The Corps Public Education Officer, Olusegun Ogungbemide who confirmed it said that the crash involved 18 vehicles, including two articulated vehicles, two buses, one jeep and 11 cars.

Ogungbemide said that the vehicles were severely damaged, with some of them engulfed in flames.

He said that the emergency responders, including the FRSC, Red Cross, Fire Service, and military quickly arrived at the scene to provide assistance.

He attributed the cause of the crash to brake failure which led to a chain reaction of collisions involving the 18 vehicles.

The FRSC spokesman said the crash occurred at approximately 6:58 pm, with the FRSC receiving the report at 7:03 pm. More than 35 people were involved.

“The crash resulted into a tragic multiple vehicle crash, resulting in the loss of six lives and leaving 25 others injured.

”Out of the six lives lost, four were burnt beyond recognition.

“The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the dead were taken to the mortuary,” he said.

Ogungbemide said that the Sector Commander in the FCT, Mr Chorrie Muta’a, the Unit Commander in charge of Nyanya and Karu, and other senior officials of the FRSC were present at the scene to coordinate the rescue efforts.

He added that the Corps Marshal of the FRSC, Malam Shehu Mohammed, also visited the scene to assess the level of damage and commiserate with the victims and their families.

Ogungbemide urged drivers to ensure that their vehicles were in good condition before embarking on any journey, emphasising the importance of regular maintenance and safety checks.

“The FRSC has been working tirelessly to reduce road crashes through aggressive sensitisation of passengers and enforcement of traffic laws.

“The Corps has also been collaborating with other agencies to promote road safety awareness and prevent such tragic incidents from occurring in the future,” he said. NAN

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest news

Related news

Leave a Reply